Are your white clothes looking a little dingy? Are they not as bright as they used to be? Are you wondering: how do I get my white clothes white again? Don’t worry, it’s not too late to get them looking like new! We’ll teach you how to wash white clothes and make them whiter than ever before.
With the correct washing method and a few extra steps, you can ensure that your white clothes will stay as bright as the day you bought them.
Why Do White Clothes Turn Yellow or Grey?
Over time, white clothes will inevitably start to turn yellow or grey. This is due to a number of factors, such as:
- Incorrect washing methods
- Using the wrong detergent
- Sweat and body oils
- Exposure to sunlight
While you can’t necessarily prevent your whites from turning yellow or grey over time, you can slow down the process by using the correct washing methods and taking a few extra steps.
Should I Use Bleach On White Clothes?
If your whites are only slightly yellowed or greyed, you can probably get away with using non-chlorine bleach. However, if they are significantly discolored, you may need to use chlorine bleach. When using bleach, always follow the instructions on the label and avoid contact with your skin or eyes.
How to Wash White Clothes Properly
Now that we’ve covered some of the basics let’s get into how to wash your white clothes properly. Here are a few tips for answering “what settings do you wash white clothes on”:
- Use the correct water temperature. Hot water can cause whites to fade, so stick to cold or warm water instead.
- Add vinegar to your load. A half-cup of vinegar added to your wash cycle can help brighten dingy whites.
- Use oxygen bleach instead of chlorine bleach. Oxygen bleach is a safer alternative to chlorine bleach, and it’s just as effective.
- Hang your clothes in the sun to dry. The sunlight will act as a natural bleaching agent and help keep your whites looking bright.
How to Whiten Discolored Clothes
If you’re wondering how to whiten white clothes that have yellowed already, don’t despair! There are a few things you can do to whiten them up again. Here are a few of our favorite methods:
- Soak your clothes in vinegar. For this method, fill a sink or tub with warm water and add a half-cup of vinegar. Soak your clothes for 30 minutes, then wash as usual.
- Use baking soda. Baking soda is a natural whitening agent, and it’s also great for removing stains. To use this method, mix one cup of baking soda with your regular amount of laundry detergent. Add this mixture to your washing machine and wash as usual.
- Try lemon juice. Lemon juice is another natural bleaching agent that can help brighten your clothes. To use this method, mix one cup of lemon juice with a half-cup of vinegar and add it to your washing machine. Wash as usual.
We hope these tips for washing white clothes helped show you how to wash white clothes and get your whites looking bright again! And if you’re having an issue with your appliance and need washer and dryer repair service, give us a call at (559) 765-0303 or Schedule Service online at your convenience.